4th CSCA Board Meeting May 4, 2020
Board Members: Paul, Brad, Ann, Dean, Lior; Absent: Gracie & Griffin (these were excused absences).
Members in attendance: Shirley
Meeting called to order: After informal discussion, the following decisions and motions were made.
Reopening Colorado Chess:
- Class 2020: Canceled
- Colorado Online Championship 2020- a fundraiser for COVID-19 through The Salvation Army food bank. Additional information on website.
- Southern Colorado Open, July 25-26, 5 round Swiss, Dean and Paul are putting this on in Colorado Springs to restart OTB chess—Governor allowing… Details on website.
- Colorado Open 2020, Festival to celebrate Colorado Chess September 4, 5, &6. Hall of Fame induction, Fischer 960, CO-2020 5SS, Membership meeting. Details on website.
AAUW (American Association of University Women) grant: Ann wrote a grant request and Kevin polished the words in the request: result—CSCA will be receiving a grant for Chess training for girls in Title 1 schools. Stipulations on how to operate the program, funds for chess equipment and pay for lady instructors. (Grant amount $ 5,700.00.
- Ordered 200 chess sets for this program to supplement previous chess sets ordered. The Templeton Fund (Ann’s charity), Scholastic, and general fund ordered 80 chess sets. Some are to replace/supplement the worn scholastic sets, most were for Title 1 program Ann started and use in another tuition free program that is ongoing.
- The 80 sets were ordered from US Chess on reduced price when the US Chess National Elementary tournament was canceled. Cost: $ 460.00 (40 for scholastic, 20 for title 1, and 20 for CSCA reserves. All were $5.75 each).
- The 200 sets were ordered from US Chess on reduced price when the US Chess National Junior High School tournament was canceled. Cost: $ 1,175.81 (included sets & boards at $ 5.25 each & shipping $ 125.81). These sets support the AAUW grant.
FIDE World Championship for Disabled Scholastic players: Coming to Denver July 2021. This is a major event which will feature chess teams from all over the world. CSCA is working with Chess Educators of America who will host this event. Kevin McConnell worked diligently to bring this event to Denver. CSCA will be asking Colorado chess players to volunteer time and effort to support this special event.
Treasurer’s report: Before the expenditures mentioned above, CSCA’s accounts were:
- Main: $ 14,474.96
- Scholastic: $ 20, 013.99
- Scholarship: $ 838.19 (this account includes funds designated for special overseas invitational events for scholastic players ($ 478.19), facebook donations, and other ear marked funds (George Mikhailavich’s Memorial event for his Grandfather- $360)).
Special thanks to Lior for setting up this Zoom meeting, Ann for her dedicated work on the AAUW grant and board members for participation, ideas, and support!